Camel crickets invade DC

The Washington Post ran an article today on these guys, some particularly “sketchy” insects known as camel crickets:

Sketchy bug

I had the bad luck to be rudely awakened by one of these guys in my bed on my first night sleeping in my previous apartment. The article captures their weirdness well. They don’t just look ugly; their tendency to jump far and erratically adds a whole new level of creepiness to these buggers, especially when they’re invading your bedroom.

Fortunately I only saw one other indoors for the rest of the year I spent in that apartment, but they were numerous outside it. One of them caught me by surprise making its home beneath my bike seat. As if I needed another reason to be glad to have moved, the Post story on how the drought is sending these crickets into houses in search of moisture has neatly provided it.

Even so, I think camel crickets pale in comparison to the weird centipedes I’ve often come across in Virginia. When will the paper cover that menace?

[Photo from the Flickr stream of AlbinoFlea.]

Comments

1. i was bit a year ago and also had several bumps on me since then.they hide and attack at night.honestlly why would they go on you to kiss you,no they want your blood or skin your a meal to them.they look scary like a mixture of spider and grass hopper.if they bit you at night they you probablly would not know.but if you got sick would wonder how?if they go around rodents they probablly cary disease as well.if you see one kill it dont let it go.i had a buulseye mark one morning no sighn of andy bug and looked like fang bites two small punctures not far appart.i had to go on antibiotics,and continue to have symptoms of lyme.this bite could of killed me,or left me like a vegtibale ,because of the toxic chemical bacteria released from the insect,good thing i went to the doctor right awayand continue to go.who knows if this little fuck i flushed down the toilet injected me with this toxic shit ,yes i agree from outer space

2. i did not know what these creatures were,but had afeeling they were not crickets or grasshopers apperentlly i was correct.they are so ugly and hideous.they resemle brown silver fish brown spiders the ones around my house maybee related to them both,the same markins to be exact.maybe they are cross breeding some how and carying over ,virusis and diseases,very similar marking.wold the government give a shit.they say they have no money,but give it to other countries.wont help our lyme disease problem it is an epidemic and serious as hell.they want to slash senior health care.goverment will get bigger because of obama care.theyre all crooks if you ask me with good alibies tell you one thing and do the opposite,they tear down schools and get rid of good teachers,we owe china big time.but the money is endless printing .they bail auto makers out. why not this country.the jobs are oversees.give companies a better tax break here.we need work.make companies who out source pay more buisness tax make it not worth moving there keep the job here.take action now.

3. Gustave Blanket says:

We saw one literally eating our dog alive and it dragged the bones into a cave.

4. tiffany says:

@bob:

but how far can they make it within those minutes :( its gone and those things haunt me spider looking things should not jump its not fair

5. Turbokat says:

I have never seen them here in central Indiana, but I lived in Evansville, down by the Ohio River for a few years and saw them regularly. I stayed with a friend, whose basement had them. Unfortuanately that’s also where the washer and dryer were! I always took a fly swatter with me when I would go down there, and I would smack a few and leave them. Later, when going down to transfer laundry, I’d find several eating the carcasses of the ones I’d killed before…..then SMACKO! I could get several more in one blow!

6. Charmaine says:

When I first seen these bugs, I thought we were being spied on by them. They would come out at night find what they could find. Then be gone before light. I also believe they get a kick out of scaring you. Instead of them jumping away from you they jump towards you, its like they all laugh at their kind while they do it….n they keep jumping!!!! I know you shouldn’t judge anything but its hard not to with these creepy jumpers.

7. Susan says:

I think I got my spider crickets from Home Depot. Never had them before Home Depot was built more than ten years ago. Then it opened 1998 and I started to buy my summer plantings from them. I would winter over my pots, after I cleaned out the foliage, in the garage so they wouldn’t break. One morning my husband spotted about 20 of these monsters clinging to the the garage ceiling. He sprayed the heck out of them, but since then it has been a battle. We thought we won the war for the past year but low and behold I went down the basement today and at the bottom of the stairs there was on big one waiting to greet me. Screamed for hubby to dispose of it, I won’t go near them because they do jump at you. I must say, I have never seen these creatures in New York in all my 50 years (at that time of the first sighting). But my research tells me they have been and still are a huge
    problem in Virginia. And I specifically remember my plants bought at Home Depot were from a commercial grower in Virginia. So we have an imported pest. Nightmare stories? I had my winter sweaters stored in a large plastic storage container with a tight plastic lid, opened it up and out jumped a large camel cricket. We killed the thing, I slammed the lid down on the sweaters and dumped the whole container in the trash. I opened my washing machine cover and there was a camel cricket at the bottom. And there was the time I went to turn on our basement refrigerator for the holidays and there was one in the vegetable bin (big, big). We do not like to use sprays indoors. We do use sticky traps (like the ones to catch mice). They work very well and we put them down all over, near baseboards, corners, especially in the laundry area and garage. We thought we had finished them off, but the way things are going up here in my corner of the world – hurricane, no power for a week and cold weather, followed by a nor’easter today with, right now 4 inches of snow, and predicting more, why not a plague of camel crickets? Sounds so Biblical doesn’t it? Must invest in Home Depot stock and buy more glue traps!

8. kevin says:

I live in,south carolina moved into a house
    Seeing these and lepord slugs and waterbugs around my house I have no basement and no water leaks that I can find

9. Jamie says:

We have lived in our house for 6 years and never saw these bugs until this month. I have spotted 2 in my kitchen and we do not have a basement. My 5 year old son is terrified of bugs and unfortunately he was the one who spotted the latest one…lol! Are these camel crickets dangerous and is there anything specific that can kill them or repel them? Thanks :D

10. Lauren Johnson says:

I AM TERRIFIED OF THESE THINGS.NOT ONLY ARE THE UGLIEST BUG THE DAMN THINGS HOP!! I THOUGHT I WAS SAFE IN MY ROOM BUT I FOUND IT ON MY BED!! WHERE DO THEY COME FROM! HARMLESSLY HIDEOUS I HOPE?

a friend said they were blind…and only intake water and that’s why I would see them in the bathroom..but this is creepy…I get up , all is clear..I return & poof hello you! I have a boot cast on my leg so this is such a hassle! I LEGIT HAVE A CONTAINER OVER IT On the floor…haha its HIND LEG IS STUCK!

WHAT DO I DO.. THUS FAR A good BROOM Whack has done the trick!

11. Lauren Johnson says:

WHAT DO I DO.. THUS FAR A good BROOM Whack has done the trick!

I live in N.W. D.C.

12. Doreen Svendsen says:

I was getting them in my house I was told to put down glue traps and yes they do go on them.I didn’t know where they were coming from until we had a tree taken down. the tree had cancer inside and when they cut the tree down you should have seen ALL the crickets and its bays inside the tree.The tree man never saw anything like it before. so check your trees and see if you have any rotted trees if you do that where they are living. good luck

13. Lindsay says:

Hey guys, Camel Crickets are harmless to humans, so not sweat.

14. Lindsay says: