Libertarians and Fair Trade coffee

Henry Farrell asks:

[...] why are so many libertarians opposed to fair trade coffee?

It would seem to me that fair trade coffee is fairly hard to argue with on the principles of consumer sovereignty (i.e. the claim that consumers know their own interests best, and are able to realize them through the market mechanism). If consumers want to pay a premium for coffee that has been produced ‘fairly,’ then this should be no more troubling for libertarians than consumers wanting to pay a premium for e.g. luxury chocolate (which often is made from the same basic material as very-good-but-not-horrendously-expensive chocolate), and arguably less troubling.

Then Jim Henley piles on too:

Where I was going with that when planning out the post is, if one isn’t careful, the appreciation of the ironic power of self-interest to fulfill social needs can slide into, first credulity – there’s got to be an irony in here somewhere! meaning, almost anywhere – and then decadence: mere contrarianism. At worst, contrarianism that isn’t just sloppy but smug: proud of itself for asserting ironical, “politically incorrect” claims that widely recognized beliefs and decencies are actually myths and vices. Tee hee! Look how upset everyone gets when I tell them how wrong they are to hold their comforting nostrums!

They’re both right that Fair Trade is just another form of voluntary free trade and that the hostility some libertarians express toward the idea of paying more for coffee to help poor farmers is distasteful at times. However at the risk of being one of those smug contrarians Henley dislikes so much, I’m going to defend the libertarians on this one. Partially, anyway.

The simplest reason to object to Fair Trade coffee is that it’s just a stupid name. It suggests that all other coffee is unfair and exploitative. As a sign at one coffee shop I visited put it, “Fair or Unfair? It’s that simple.” Well, it’s not that simple. And if, as I do, you think the insights of Adam Smith, David Ricardo, and other economists are hard-won intellectual achievements, then a label that implicitly opposes those ideas is going to rub you the wrong way. This could have been avoided if we labeled Fair Trade as something like “Charity Coffee” instead, which would be more accurate and avoid disparaging any economic theories. But then it might not have caught on as well because buying it wouldn’t let people signal their opposition to globalization, which brings us back to why so many libertarians dislike Fair Trade in the first place.

That’s probably as far as your average capitalist goes in his reasons for disdaining Fair Trade coffee. But if you’re actually into coffee, you know that some of the smartest critiques of Fair Trade are coming from good-hearted liberals working in the industry. They’ll tell you that Fair Trade is out of step with the current market for specialty coffee.

The first complaint you’ll hear about Fair Trade is that it doesn’t do enough to encourage quality. I’ve had some very good Fair Trade coffee and I’ve had some that’s terrible; the label doesn’t promise anything. It sets a price floor without any real link to cultivating better beans or promise that the roaster knows how to handle them. Even worse, by mandating a co-op model of production, Fair Trade can reduce incentives for individual farmers to improve their crops. This may not matter if consumers are buying Fair Trade coffee just for charity, but over the long-term they may not continue paying more for the label if they’re not perceiving higher quality in the cup.

A bigger objection to Fair Trade is that it’s no longer the best deal for farmers. The Fair Trade minimum of $1.26 per green pound is often higher than commodity coffee prices but well below what premium coffee roasters will pay. For example, Counter Culture’s Direct Trade program pays a minimum of $1.60 per green pound with additional incentives for exceptional crops.

There’s much more one could say in criticism of how Fair Trade certification works; there’s no need to repeat them here but see this recent Guardian article or Kerry Howley’s excellent piece from Reason a few years ago if you’re interested.

What’s frustrating about the successful branding of Fair Trade is that it’s used as a cognitive shortcut by consumers for what qualifies as an ethical coffee purchase. I speak from experience selling coffee in Washington’s Georgetown neighborhood. The type of customers some libertarians enjoy mocking would often come in asking for Fair Trade beans. Sometimes I could engage them and explain that what we were offering was better than Fair Trade, that farmers got more money for the beans and the quality of the coffee was outstanding. Other times I couldn’t and they walked out for another shop, likely ending up doing less good for farmers and with a worse cup of coffee. Customers’ loyalty to Fair Trade can be just as uninformed as some libertarians’ knee-jerk opposition to it.

Here’s Jim again on why Fair Trade seems like such a bad idea to people who’ve taken to heart Adam Smith’s lesson that following one’s self-interest is often the best way to do good in the world:

[...]something like Fair Trade will seem like it should be the kind of thing where there must be a catch. Here are people trying to act out of benevolence and still getting dinner! It would make perfect sense – and be a lot of fun! – if these do-gooders were actually doing harm.

But by this point, you can start getting lazy. Like, assuming that fair-traders must be screwing up “price signals” that are the market’s way of telling poor foreign farmers to stop farming.

I’m not convinced that buying Fair Trade actively does harm, though excess production is a legitimate concern. If you’re shopping at Costco and debating between a big bag of Procter and Gamble’s regular coffee or their Fair Trade beans, you’re probably making some farmer marginally better off by choosing the latter. Fair Trade may play a useful role in mass market coffee. However if you want to pass the maximum of your purchase price onto coffee farmers, your best bet is to buy the highest quality coffee you can from roasters like Counter Culture, Intelligentsia, or Stumptown (to name the usual three, though there are many others).

In fact, it doesn’t even matter whether you care about coffee farmers or not. If you selfishly pay for quality in the cup you’re very likely buying beans that brought more revenue to them than Fair Trade would have. Adam Smith was right and so, sometimes, is the libertarian’s ironic intuition.

Comments

1. Barak says:

What if I don’t want to pay for premium coffee? Am I not getting a bigger ‘charity’ bang for my buck if I buy Fair Trade?

2. Jacob Grier says:

@Barak: As I wrote in the post, Fair Trade might play a useful role in mass market coffee.

3. Dan Clore says:

This post makes the false assumption that Fair Trade certified coffee necessarily costs more than comparable non-certified coffee. It does not. In fact, because it is purchased directly from the farmers, cutting out unproductive middlemen, if often costs less. The coffee that my family buys sometimes costs a little more, sometimes a little less, averaging about the same.

Furthermore, it probably isn’t true that the actual farmers get paid more for more expensive non-certified brands. Fair Trade farmers, as worker-owners of cooperatives, get the full amount, whereas with the alternative corporate plutocrats get most of it. Since the latter gives lots of money to the unproductive owners, it strikes me as more accurate to call it Charity Coffee — charity for the rich.

4. Jacob Grier says:

@Dan Clore: Fair Trade coffee doesn’t go directly to the workers, it goes to the co-op. Sometimes that’s fine, but if the co-op leadership is corrupt or incompetent then the farmers aren’t going to get the money they should. Nor are middlemen necessarily unproductive — if co-ops do their job less efficiently than the middlemen could, then farmers are again worse off trying to do everything themselves. I’m skeptical that forcing farmers into a co-op model with no seasonal employees is the best way to help them develop economically.

I’m happy to have an informed conversation about the merits of premium, direct trade coffee, but calling the people who’ve created these new models “corporate plutocrats” is just silly.

5. Deon says:

We have spent a week looking into the issue,
    as well as being informed by Baltimore’s very own enable office that individuals did not require a permit, many of us decided we’re within our protection under the law to object in front of
    Sodium Tavern, consequently BARC returned so that you can protest on 7:
    Double zero PM in Friday, Oct 12, The year 2007.

6. I just went and got a totally free Xbox 360 on craigslist to drop off the side of
    my apartment creating.

7. I love reading through a post that will make men and women think.
    Also, thank you for allowing for me to comment!

8. If you would like to increase your knowledge simply
    keep visiting this web page and be updated with the newest news
    posted here.

9. I have learn several good stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking for revisiting.
    I wonder how so much attempt you put to create such a magnificent informative website.

10. Mohammed says:

The blisters are painful and dry up to make a yellow
    crust which gradually heals in a few days.

11. You actually make it appear so easy together with your presentation but
    I to find this matter to be actually something that I feel I might never understand.
    It kind of feels too complex and extremely wide for me.
    I am taking a look ahead on your next post, I’ll attempt to get the grasp of it!

12. Web development is so good! The higher a website design is difficult to find and index your website.
    All it is not that difficult for them. Backlinks14 495Acording to Allexa and
    ann gourmet vinegr experienced medical marketing
    firm such as frames. But it wilpl goo this far betterthan us.

13. Why people still use to read news papers
    when in this technological world the whole thing
    is existing on net?

14. Rafaela says:

If it isn’t clean affordable dental csre and
    error-free website without backlinks. Vanessa>>:
    It’s herr site did not require a lott of work for any business.
    So why don’t I get into this list. I just drag that down here and share again. In your response you’ll want to wasit
    untilthis piece of link worthy content can be really handy.

15. If you are going for most excellent contents like I do, just pay a visit this site daily since it offers quality contents, thanks

16. ps4 themes says:

Ps3 has a store I am not positive about Xbox but ps3 has infamous 1 and 2 you can get halo
    for ps3 it just hasn’t came out ps3 is better!

17. Applications, addresses and texts then finish up on the internal SSD of the notebook, video, photo and music collections on the external drive.

18. Romaine says:

I knew I needed a starting for the molding of the deer.

19. Very good post. I’m facing a few of these issues as well..

20. naturally like your web-site but you need to test the spelling on several of your posts.
    A number of them are rife with spelling problems and I find it very bothersome to
    tell the truth nevertheless I will certainly come back again.

21. Hi there to all, it’s genuinely a good for me to pay a quick visit this website, it includes helpful Information.

22. Some of the best games to choose from are
    arcade games, shooting games, sports games, puzzle games,
    car games and board games. Dish out revenge on the greedy green pigs who
    stole the their eggs. Here few facts about Sole treadmills are described.

23. I am not sure where you’re getting your info, buut great
    topic. I needs to spend som time learning much more or understanding more.
    Thanks for great info I wwas looking forr this information for my mission.

24. Muscle stiffness or spasms (spasticity) occurs when the muscles tighten and become rigid.

We dissolved the calcium cocoon around her muscles, organs and connective tissue with healthy drinks to balance the p
    - H such as chlorophyll, diluted raw apple-cider vinegar
    or aloe vera. A really important piece of information that
    you must know and be aware off is the need to control your body
    temperature as much as you can.

25. mlm list says:

I believe this is one of the so much vital information for me.
    And i’m happy studying your article. But wanna commentary on few normal things, The website style is great,
    the articles is really excellent : D. Just right activity, cheers

26. Will says:

The highest deer velvet extract has been procured by your lab and
    imported it.

27. Let me tell you, the best Ice cream maker recipes, is the one that you’ll frequently use.
    The worst one is one that stays in the garage and gathers debris.

28. Pulau Pari says:

Very rapidly this web page will be famous among all blog users,
    due to it’s nice articles or reviews

29. fantastic post, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector don’t notice
    this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a huge readers’ base already!

30. ‘s main task was to read scripts for future projects for Weaver,
    “We spent our day reading scripts, we optioned a few projects but they never got green lit. The romantic comedy aspect is part of a script that ‘doesn’t exist anymore,’ Dyer said. Andreas finds inspiration from his collaboration with J.

31. Great information. Lucky me I ran across your blog by chance
    (stumbleupon). I have bookmarked it for later!

32. Holi Songs says:

Indian Communities in India, be it from any state,
    follow the Hindu calendar for festivals or finding the auspicious
    day for marriage or other events. Nothing much: Kuch khas nahi (कुछ खास नही).
    According to the legend, this festival of light is celebrated in honour of the return of lord Rama to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile.

33. Make your communications interesting. Do not forget that sky contact numbers can likewise be utilized as a wellspring of amusement.

Make your messages interesting and fascinating, while supplying the
    client with either purposeful advice or entertainment.
    When subscribers just waiting for something somewhere or are doing some thing, they’re going to look to mobile as a distraction that is fascinating or
    satisfying.

34. This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am genuinely impressed to read
    all at one place.

35. my site says:

Hi, its nice article about media print, we all be familiar with media is a impressive
    source of data.

36. Corporations are seeking business process management alternatives in a period when the traditional boundaries
    of these companies are now increasingly porous to
    incorporate providers, partners, and clients as integrated areas
    of their operations. In the same time, web-based applications H-AS
    continued to evolve in its capabilities and reach, and companies have increasingly adopted cloud-based providers found outside the the organization firewall.

37. When you think of it, college could be mind-boggling to a student
    that is new. Such large adjustments, in every area of your lifestyle–at college these changes occur all at once.
    It is important to get guidance and help. That’s the reason why this article features some Schools in Dubai hints to remember to are successful.

38. Huge numbers of folks use the web every day to go shopping.

Would not you prefer to get merely a few thousand
    clients purchase your products? You can, if you make information management selling
    a priority in your organization. Below are a few great pointers achieve a complete new set of
    customers and to enable you to market on the web.

39. I do accept as true with all the ideas you’ve presented on your post.
    They’re really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts
    are very short for starters. May just you please prolong them a little from next time?
    Thank you for the post.

40. Those college that is considering have several concerns about it.
    Many different encounters are entailed by school; for
    that reason, it’s vital that you are well prepared prior
    to attending. Here is guidance about Primary schools in Abu
    Dhabi so that you can be better prepared.

41. This is especially important if you post your business cards on bulletin boards oor other areas witfh business cards from multiple other businesses.

Give your card if your business comes upp in the conversation, suggest asking for
    theirs first, then giving yours in return. If you are sending
    business cards then you could either buy inn bulk which would turn out to be
    cheaper but iff you are very particular then the clients could be again divided in groups
    and send each group specific type. Maybe you need to worfk your way
    up the corporate ladder a bit before going for the high end metal loiok but gold and
    stainless steel cards are hard for people
    to dismiss oor forget.

42. Engaging in college is a good achievement but it is hardly the
    moment to rest on your own laurels. It a a time to ramp up you attempts and actually show an accountable and independent student you might have become to the world what.
    This informative article contains many pointers to allow you
    to take advantage of the and your school days get the schooling that you’ve labored so hard
    to receive.

43. Regardless of if you prefer it or not believe
    it, vodafone telephone number| vodafone customer service number is a significant part the world of business of advertisements in today’s.

Only browse around about and you’ll notice examples of it every where – from SMS, to in-game advertisements, to the cellular web.
    This report will give you advice on how to work with
    it to best suit your needs.

44. There are many people who are engaged in finding just
    what an illuminated LED stage dance-floor happens to be. But
    truly, the expression by itself informs you all you need to understand – at least technically speaking.
    In short, an illuminated hire a dance floor is phase and a mixed dance-floor –
    which is, it can work as either, or both; no matter what the requirements are – that is powered, or lit,
    by LED lamps. In case you’ve ever before observed colored LED lights for action, then it is not difficult to simply envision just what there is this a dramatic radical product, correct?

It is really like nothing you have ever seen before –
    except for those who have danced on an illuminated LED stage dance-floor.
    If this is the case , then no question you’ll enjoy once more and the encounter yet again.
    Dance floors such as these take going to a degree that is totally new to dances
    and the club. They can, actually, function club-goers and the dancers upward right into a craze,
    whether or not they’ve been dancing on the floor themselves or watching the LED illuminated stage is performed on by
    an action.

45. Unless your business just requires cash, most
    businesses will run into the situation of being stiffed
    to get a payment, whether by injury, by way of a debtor ignoring their obligations,
    or like a bounced-check. It may be very difficult to accumulate on these types of
    bills that are delinquent with no proper training that is legal.
    That is why many companies hire debt collectors to be mindful of their outstanding
    bills and gather them.

46. My family members always say that I am killing my time
    here at net, except I know I am getting knowledge every day by reading such good content.

47. mainContent says:

Are your creditors disturbing you every day? Does calling never stop
    as a result of the debt collector calls? These few tips will be able to help you make a bargain with your creditors and lower the debt by considerable quantities whether you possess thousands or hundreds.

48. Recently, a move is when arranging a wedding, towards consulting a
    lighting expert. Rather than accepting their venues the way that they
    are, brides and bridegrooms are researching innovative choices for personalizing their wedding, setting a mood,
    hiding characteristics that are unattractive, and emphasizing beautiful ones.
    It is a synopsis of the ways forte wedding lighting hire can be utilized to enhance a wedding.

49. Renting a home is just not quite as complicated as
    purchasing one, but it’s not always as easy
    as one might think. There are often concealed fees and major repairs to
    make, and of course the fact you have to reply for any problems that could arise while you live there to your own landlord.

There are several things that you must consider
    before you devote to rental houses.

50. Some people just choose to give the telephone to a
    tech and let them do the work . Seeking a best way to jailbreak
    your new purchased iPad 3? Remember until your device is not jailbreak You can not unlock
    it.

Trackbacks

1. [...] and, unless I’ve lost track, libertarian Jacob Grier makes a qualified defense of attacks against “fair trade,” specifically fair-trade coffee. [...]

2. [...] Some valuable thoughts on Fair Trade coffee. Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Sordid LinksA Sordid LinkBarely Sordid Links [...]

3. [...] Libertarians and Fair Trade coffee The simplest reason to object to Fair Trade coffee is that it’s just a stupid name. It suggests that all other coffee is unfair and exploitative. [...]

4. [...] silly those times were. Fair trade coffee is also a farce, but I won’t get into that here. Read this excellent piece by Jacob Grier and make up your own mind on that [...]